Questions about love and marriage were posed to kids ages 5 to
10. Their answers below are enlightening:
WHAT IS THE PROPER AGE TO GET MARRIED??
WHAT DO MOST PEOPLE DO ON A DATE??
"Eighty-four! Because at that age, you don't have to work
anymore, and you can spend all your time loving each other in your
bedroom." (Judy, 8)
- "Once I'm done with kindergarten, I'm going to find me a
wife!" (Tom, 5)
WHEN IS IT OKAY TO KISS SOMEONE??
"On the first date, they just tell each other lies, and that
usually gets them interested enough to go for a second date." (Mike,
THE GREAT DEBATE: IS IT BETTER TO BE SINGLE OR MARRIED??
"You should never kiss a girl unless you have enough bucks to buy her
a big ring and her own VCR, 'cause she'll want to have videos of the
wedding." (Jim, 10)
- "Never kiss in front of other people. It's a big embarrassing
thing if anybody sees you. But if nobody sees you, I might be willing
to try it with a handsome boy, but just for a few hours." (Kally, 9)
CONCERNING WHY LOVE HAPPENS BETWEEN TWO PARTICULAR PEOPLE
"It's better for girls to be single but not for boys. Boys need
somebody to clean up after them!" (Lynette, 9)
- "It gives me a headache to think about that stuff. I'm just a
kid. I don't need that kind of trouble." (Kenny, 7)
ON WHAT FALLING IN LOVE IS LIKE
"No one is sure why it happens, but I heard it has something to do
with how you smell. That's why perfume and deodorant are so popular."
- "I think you're supposed to get shot with an arrow or
something, but the rest of it isn't supposed to be so painful."
ON THE ROLE OF GOOD LOOKS IN LOVE
"Like an avalanche where you have to run for your life." (Roger, 9)
- "If falling in love is anything like learning how to spell, I
don't want to do it. It takes too long." (Leo, 7)
CONCERNING WHY LOVERS OFTEN HOLD HANDS
"If you want to be loved by somebody who isn't already in your family,
it doesn't hurt to be beautiful." (Jeanne, 8)
- "It isn't always just how you look. Look at me. I'm handsome
like anything and I haven't got anybody to marry me yet." (Gary, 7)
- "Beauty is skin deep. But how rich you are can last a long
time." (Christine, 9)
CONFIDENTIAL OPINIONS ABOUT LOVE
"They want to make sure their rings don't fall off because they paid
good money for them." (Dave, 8)
THE PERSONAL QUALITIES NECESSARY TO BE A GOOD LOVER
"I'm in favor of love as long as it doesn't happen when 'The Simpsons'
is on television." (Anita, 6)
- "Love will find you, even if you are trying to hide from it. I
have been trying to hide from it since I was five, but the girls keep
finding me." (Bobby, 8)
SOME SUREFIRE WAYS TO MAKE A PERSON FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU
"One of you should know how to write a check. Because, even if you have
tons of love, there is still going to be a lot of bills." (Ava, 8)
HOW CAN YOU TELL IF TWO ADULTS EATING DINNER AT A RESTAURANT ARE IN LOVE?
"Tell them that you own a whole bunch of candy stores." (Del, 6)
- "Don't do things like have smelly, green sneakers. You might get
attention, but attention ain't the same thing as love." (Alonzo, 9)
- "One way is to take the girl out to eat. Make sure it's
something she likes to eat. French fries usually works for me." (Bart, 9)
WHAT MOST PEOPLE ARE THINKING WHEN THEY SAY "I LOVE YOU"
"Just see if the man picks up the check. That's how you can tell if he's
in love." (John, 9)
- "Lovers will just be staring at each other and their food will
get cold. Other people care more about the food." (Brad, 8)
- "It's love if they order one of those desserts that are on
fire. They like to order those because it's just like how their
hearts are...on fire." (Christine, 9)
HOW A PERSON LEARNS TO KISS
"The person is thinking: Yeah, I really do love him. But I hope he
showers at least once a day." (Michelle, 9)
WHEN IS IT OKAY TO KISS SOMEONE?
"You learn it right on the spot when the gooshy feelings get the best of
you." (Doug, 7)
- "It might help to watch soap operas all day." (Carin, 9)
HOW TO MAKE LOVE ENDURE
"It's never okay to kiss a boy. They always slobber all over
you....That's why I stopped doing it." (Jean, 10)
"Spend most of your time loving instead of going to work." (Tom, 7)
- "Don't forget your wife's name...That will mess up the love."
- "Be a good kisser. It might make your wife forget that you
never take out the trash." (Randy, 8)